When initially planning the project, I did not set in scope to create a tutorial, however, this changed when users came into contact with the game and did not understand how to interact with the project. The initial players did not understand what they needed to do or how to interact with the project.
I struggled with how I would implement a tutorial in a way that I was happy with and fit the project, I thought that in game voice overs would be very odd to hear the player character refer to objects like the controller while in a realistic setting.
The tutorial I decided would take the idea of a 'dream sequence' style, allowing me to be more abstract with the way I built it and to get more experience with the level blueprint system. I was keen to make sure that this level impressed as it would be a users first experience of the project.
The key aim is to ensure that the player knows what they have to do and how to interact with the world.
| Opening section of the tutorial |
The level only lasts for a minute, but should guide the player on how to play the game and interact with it.
The Oculus controller meshes are ones that where included within the engine, with a text render component added to guide the player.
I also used the opportunity to add more atmosphere to the project with music and particle effects as well as some dialogue from the player character- I felt that the level just being a tutorial would be very straight forward and potentially turn the player off the project before they'd really experienced it.
On reflection of this level I would potentially extend it, add more phycological elements like additional characters as if the player where reliving moments- this would serve to catch the player up on the characters history and backstory and add some intrigue to the introduction.
Implementing the level has stalled my progress on the main level, so I may have to look at cutting elements from the main level to compensate but the addition of the tutorial is one that I am happy with.
No comments:
Post a Comment