Sunday, January 9, 2022

Voice and sound

For this game I knew I wanted some form of voice acting- reading text boxes in VR and implementing such a system would have taken a fair amount of time to implement. I didn't have any scope for voice actors. I didn't have the budget nor the recording equipment.

I did some research, and Replica studios had a plugin directly to unreal, I didn't end up using this but I did end up using replica to create all the dialogue lines in the game. 

One benefit offered was the flexibility offered by AI voice acting, I could edit the dialogue after recording, I could tweak the lines as I went along the project, this is in stark contrast to traditional voice acting where I would need to have the content locked down or have to reschedule the recording session for altered dialogue. 

The only downside is the voice acting can feel flat, and there are certain words or phrases that do clearly sound like they're being generated by the AI- they sound flat or stilted. 

Overall though, generally speaking I'm happy with the quality of the project sound, it could be better- but it could also be much worse or even silent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection: thoughts.

How has the project gone Versus initial expectations?  I'm generally pleased with how the project has progressed, though it would have b...