When looking at VR games, it is important to consider the performance costs involved, as
the performance needs to be a minimum of 72 Frames per second for most headsets to avoid the user feeling sick.
IrisVR states "Studies have shown that in practice, any VR setup that generates frame rates below 90 frames per second (FPS) is likely to induce disorientation, nausea, and other negative user effects. The lower the frame rate, the worse the effects." (1)
When I used Unreal engines in built profiler for texture budget I found the scene was consuming far larger amounts of VRAM than needed- this was not good- it meant that although the general frame-rate was stable the project would 'hitch' and stutter. This led to a very uneven experience for the player.
I diagnosed the issue as an asset from the marketplace that was using 4k textures on a modular building for each individual component. As seen below once
I manually resized the textures I ending up with more VRAM overhead and as the props where outside the playable area as a backdrop I could lower the quality to around 512 pixels.
As seen in image 2, manually re-sizing is not difficult to accomplish in engine but the process was tedious as there where over 300 individual assets that I had to re-size, including the textures for the normal maps and ambient occlusion, but the performance gain was worth it.
1) https://help.irisvr.com/hc/en-us/articles/215884547-The-Importance-of-Frame-Rates (16/11/2021)


No comments:
Post a Comment